Sunday 20 July 2014

A relay race

A few weeks ago (Monday 7th July) there was a mile relay race in Battersea Park.

I had heard about it as I follow the London Frontrunners running club on Facey-B and they had posted a note saying that they were putting together a few teams of three in order to enter the race. I messaged back and I was in. It was to be my last race before my operation to remove the final piece of the cyst on my back the following day which would mean I was not allowed to run for two weeks.

I turned up at the park quite nervous. My team mates were very friendly and I was then not worried about the format of the race. I hadn't realised how large an event it was and how seriously some of the other runners would take it. It did make me smile as it's hardly the Olympics!

We were all teams of three and basically had to run a mile each...fastest three teams won a medal. Looking at the seriousness of some of the teams me and my team were not focused on medals but having fun.

Battersea Park is a gorgeous place to run and being a perfect summer evening it made the event hugely enjoyable. I completed my mile leg in 5 minutes and 32 seconds which I think may be a best. Pleased with that my feelings were a little dashed when on the results list I saw a runner had been there called Tom Daley. WTF - how could I have missed him?! I tell myself that it was just a coincidence as had it been the real one I certainly would have spotted him even if I didn't have my glasses on!

After a few team photos I found a nice local tapas bar to firstly change in the toilets into more appropriate (less sweaty) evening wear and enjoy some lovely food! Definitely an event I would like to do again...any takers for making a team with me?!

Some photos below:





The next day I was up early to have one last run ahead of my operation. The operation itself didn't hurt as much as I thought it would (despite the doctor saying the pain would be "intense")?! For those interested in further photos (given how popular the previous cyst photos were) you can see below what it was like both post op with stitches and then more recently (i.e. last Friday) when the stitches are out:




The doctor says my back modelling days are over but I think we can all agree they were over prior to the scar from the operation if we are to look at what my back was like beforehand?!

No comments:

Post a Comment