Sunday 28 September 2014

Ealing Half Marathon

Today was the third Ealing half marathon.

Being my local run with the start line just around the corner from my house it is a must on my race calendar.

Now from the last two years of racing in the event I knew that it was a hilly course but today has proven to me that pain clearly disappears with time! The morning started very nicely with it being very warm even at 8am.

Arriving at the park I warmed up and took in the atmosphere. We were all given yellow ribbons to wear on our tops to raise awareness of missing schoolgirl Alice Gross who is from the local area which was a touching gesture.

A quick removal of a car from the start line (the owner will clearly now be regretting not taking notice of the signs asking to not park there on race day) and we were ready in the starting pens. A few Mexican waves later and the start gun went. I hadn't been planning on a PB as I knew the course was hard plus I have another half next weekend so was saving myself for that. Just as well given how hard it turned out to be.

The first few miles were fairly flat until the first of the mountains just before mile three. The organisers had even written in chalk on the road that this was "the hill you read about" which slightly filled me with fear. On the summit I was pleased it was over and thought that perhaps that was the worst hill done with. I turned out to be wrong. On the other side of the hill though we descended and went past my sister's house where she was outside with my niece to give me a welcomed high five!

Revived I carried on through the undulating areas of Ealing. As the hills got worse so did my language on the inclines.

One thing I found challenging was that I kept missing the mile markers....I didn't actually see one until mile 9! That's a long way to go without definitely knowing where in the race I was. However; once past 9 miles I knew it was the last part and mostly flat.

I arrived in my area of town and went past Laura a couple of times (managing a wave only the first time as it was a lot of effort in the heat!)

I entered the park for the last round before the finish. I again had missed the 12 and 13 mile marker but did see the 400m and 200m to go ones which were possibly the best signs I have ever seen in my life. I crossed the line after 1 hour 23 minutes 33 seconds placing my 68th out of 4,245 runners. Not my best performance ever but still one to add to the books.

After a little lie down / collapse on the grass I enjoyed a 15 minute sport massage to loosen the calf muscles :-)

I will do the event each year as it's my aim to run every single one since it has started but I will definitely not be planning any PBs on the course....especially on a sunny day like today! Although as I said...perhaps in a year's time I will have forgotten the pain of the hills? Maybe? Maybe not!

Some pictures very sweaty pictures below:


Sweat free at the start!


Can you spot me?


Un-glamorous shots follow....








The last stretch:





Sweatbox:


Rest for a few seconds / sunbathing:


P.S. Proof it wasn't just me that found it hot and hilly:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/sep/29/running-blog-how-was-your-weekend-running

No comments:

Post a Comment