Sunday 23 August 2015

The Pride 10km, London

A few weeks ago Gay Pride took over London. A fantastic atmosphere as always.

Last weekend on 15th August was the Pride 10km in Victoria Park in London. It was my first time getting to take part in the event and I was really looking forward to it. Especially as I was given the coveted participant number 69. Couldn't have wished for a better one!

With Victoria Park being in East London it is not an area I have ventured to frequently (with me being based in West London); however arriving at the park it was clear I should make the journey more often. It's a lovely spot and with the sun shining it was shaping up to be a perfect place and day for a race.

I had my two year old niece Jessica in tow with me which meant that my warm up consisted of us doing some spins together and taking her to see the colourful garlands the start marshalls were wearing. I didn't mind as I wasn't particularly aiming for a top time so the day was all about having fun.

There were around 1,200 people running which meant that the start line wasn't too crowded. I handed Jessica over to Steven and got a place in the first wave. The count down happened and we were off. Three circuits of the park ahead of us.

The group spread out fairly quickly and the first lap seemed to go pretty quickly. Jessica and Steven gave me a good cheer. By the second lap I could hear someone just behind me and we stayed that way all the way around. Steven and Jessica gave me a good cheer this time with some rainbow Union Jacks they had managed to get hold of. On the third lap the breathing behind me got closer (in a non slasher movie way) and the runner slightly overtook me. It was certainly good having someone running at the same pace to keep me pushing myself. I kept up with him and and in the last few hundred meters I pulled myself past him and crossed the finish line with a final cheer from Jessica and Steven.

I placed 23rd in a time of 36 minutes and 59 seconds which despite me not aiming for a PB is a good time and my fastest one of the year. So maybe spinning with a toddler is the way to warm up from now on?!

It was a fantastic event and enjoying a picnic in the park post run was a delight. A lovely day and I was proud to be part of it.

Until next year Pride 10km :-)

Breakfast on the tube. What other way is there to dine?


The best race number I have ever been given:


One more hug before starting:



Action shot:


Post race stretching:




No comments:

Post a Comment