Tuesday 1 November 2016

I'm late a posting AGAIN!

So, it seems to be a theme that I have been late again to post my race updates.

Ealing Half Marathon

As you read from the Disney post (assuming you are a big enough fan to read all my posts) I travelled back from that race in order to take part in the Ealing Half Marathon (EHM from here on in) on the Sunday.

EHM was in its fifth year. I was proud to say it was my fifth time competing. I felt good on the morning and I love being in my local area of London. We lined up. The countdown started. At six seconds to go many of the crowd were shouting something which I couldn't decipher. It transpired that the organisers hadn't moved the barriers just in front of the start line. Yikes. That would have been some mammoth pile up if we had actually started and it hadn't been noticed.

Countdown (not the programme) was on again. We were off. I won't bore you with every twist and turn but the atmosphere on the route was good. The hills are tough and I was grateful when the last one was over just after the 8 mile mark.

I was nearly home. I passed Laura supporting on the sidelines. I was back in Lammas Park and on the home stretch. I passed the memorial plaque marking the spot where a young man passed away in the EHM in 2014. I thought of him until I got to the finish line.

My time was 1h 23m 28s placing me 63rd. An improvement on last year and not a bad effort.

I would love to be back at EHM next year to continue to not miss any of their races but it clashes with the Berlin marathon. What to do? I need ideas please!

The Great South Run

Just over a week ago was the Great South Run. I have done it a few times before but not since the crazy blustery time of 2013. I was excited to be gong back.

It is a nostalgic race for me as my parents accompanied me the first couple of times I did it. I wish they had been there this time too.

However; I was due to stay with my school friend Charlie and his girlfriend Marie at their place in Portsmouth so I was looking forward to a pre race evening catch up. They looked after me well and carbed me up (plus one cheeky beer.)

Charlie was also running with me and so on race morning Marie made our breakfast (continuing to be the super hostess) and we were on our way to the start. It wasn't as chilly as normal. We passed Scott Overall on the way to the start pens. I am sure he thinks I stalk him as he did give me a slightly puzzled look. Maybe he recognises me from other races? Maybe I was just staring at him too hard?

We were off. The route through the city is lovely. The leaves were strewn across the roads and it really felt like the first day of Autumn. The historic dockyard is stunning and I was pacing well against my plan. Before I knew it I was at the seven mile mark. Three left to go and provided the headwind on the front wasn't there I may make a one hour finish.

Suddenly I tripped and skidded along the road. I am not sure what happened. I quickly jumped up and carried on. Luckily nobody was near me so I didn't cause a pile up. About a minute later a commentator announced that people should watch out for the speed bumps. Was that what I hit? I am not sure. I am sure though that my elbow, hands, leg and fingers were definitely bleeding. They stung. A lot.

I pushed on and crossed the line in 1h 2m 8s placing me 155th. A solid effort if I am allowed to say so myself? Particularly as I fell too. It was still a PB which I am pleased with but I am a little curious as to what would have happened if I hadn't fallen?

After collecting my medal the St John's Ambulance cleaned my wounds well, which surprisingly didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing. As I went to leave the patch up area the nurse called me back and said she noticed I had blood on my race number and did I want her to clean that too? I declined her offer. I wanted the World to know what a warrior I was. Truth = I wasn't planning on keeping the number so there was no need to clean it.

Post race Marie continued to feed and water me well which was very appreciated. The shower pre lunch was painful. I wish I had recorded it to randomly audition for Scream Queens.

So perhaps I can find another 10 mile race to see what would happen without a fall?

Any recommendations of a race that would suit?

It was more painful than it looks


Warrior blood


As E.T. once said, ouch


No comments:

Post a Comment