Sunday 16 April 2017

Why can't I keep up with blogging?

London Winter Run

Once upon a time I became very bad at posting about my races on time.
Each time I was late to post I would promise that this would never happen again. Yet, more than one blog post has started in this same way recently.

Well, I am on holiday this week and intend to get better at it.

So let me get you up to speed. My excuse is that I have been training for the Boston marathon, hence why I had no spare time to blog. That's a true story. Not based on alternative facts I promise.

Sunday 5th February 2017 marked the London Winter Run. A 10km run through central London promising superb sightseeing, polar bear hugs at the end, a snow zone and all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK. 

It was the second time I was doing this event and I was looking forward to being back. This time we were starting at Trafalgar Square under a chilly but blue sky. I was dressed appropriately and with Steven on the side line next to me until just a few moments before the start I could keep my warmed gear on as long as possible meaning I didn't freeze my tits off for too long. 

The start gun was being fired by a young woman who had been receiving treatment for a melanoma. She only looked my age. She told the crowd that her cancer couldn't be cured. I was stumped. Her bravery to stand in front of 10,000 people and tell her story was amazing. 

As she fired the gun 10,000 people ran past her onto the streets of London. She entered my mind a lot during the race and quite a bit since then to be honest. I don't know her name but whatever it is I salute her. ;

I'll be brief on the description of the race but it went somewhat like this.

We passed many super icons of London (St. Paul's, Waterloo Bridge, London Eye etc.)

My watch stopped working 2km in so I didn't know my pace

I noticed the distance between me and the young man in front had been constant for the first 2km

I hatched a plan to stick to that in order to maintain pace

I began to catch him

I overtook him

I glanced at his face. He was super young

We run into Trafalgar Square and along Whitehall where we finished amongst the polar bears

The young man was only about 40 seconds behind me

I congratulated him and asked his age

He was 17 and had got his PB that day

In my head I did a celebration dance to know that I could still keep up with a teenager

Time: 38:06
Position: 52nd

1 comment:

  1. Good one.
    You are welcome if you visit,
    https://favoritefacts.blogspot.com/?m=1
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete