Saturday 19 August 2017

A summer of training

So post Boston I enjoyed a bit of a celebration in the form of relaxing my training. That's not to say that I didn't run at all, a week without running is pretty much like going without a shower to me, however; the mileage definitely came down and my alcohol intake went up. Not to the point of needing a week in The Priory though.

I have still done a few races along the way which have been tough but fun. Here's what has happened since Boston:

London 10,000 (29th May 2017)

My idea of a great way to spend a bank holiday morning. Starting and finishing on The Mall in front of Buckingham Palace (and presumably Liz looking out from behind the living room nets) never gets old.  I love this run every time I do it. A great way to sight see and take in my favourite city on Earth.

A slightly hot day which made me even more happy to run through the shower at 6 miles but soon enough I was back in front of the palace and crossing the finish line in a time of 38 minutes 26 seconds placing me 478th out of a start list of arond 12,500. Top 4% is good for me.

Mr Butchart and Mrs Pavey placed first which was wonderful to see, especially seeing them up close for their post race interviews in Green Park. Two of my running heroes.

Post run I enjoyed a nice cup of coffee on the grass with a friend I met back in 2013 climbing Kilimanjaro who was at the race to support her other half. Love it when social media allows you to know where people are so that you don't miss them.

A good morning.


London 10 mile (4th June 2017)

This was the inaugural London 10 mile race and was taking place in Richmond Park. A local and favourite place of mine.

This was also to be the first event me and my running coach Laura Turner would be competing in together. Now, she's a world class sprinter so longer distance is new to her but I was excited to both be doing the same event.

We saw each other at the start, said a quick good luck and into the starting pens it was. The beginning of the race was uphill already. It was tough, and a sign of things to come.

Whilst the park is fully enjoyable to jog in, it is definitely beyond hard in terms of trying to aim for a PB. The scenery is stunning but the hills were brutal. As I passed a sign along the route stating "big hill coming" I braced for it. It wasn't a lie. Almost at the top and there was some guys hanging from the trees above us for support. My arms were moving as fast as they could in order to keep my legas actually moving. It worked. Somewhat.

What goes up must come down and there was a steep decline on the other side. A welcome relief but still requires some skill to not run out of control.

So, then I finished. 1 hour 5 minutes and 53 seconds placing me 50th out of 3,252. Top 2% this time. Not a PB but a result I am proud of none the less.

Laura finished in a great time too although I am not sure she is keen to swap short for long distances as her specialty just yet.


RunThrough Wimbledon Common half marathon (30th July 2017)

I am still on the quest for a sub three hour marathon and am pinning my hopes on it happening at the Berlin Marathon on 24th September this year. I will be happy with a time of 2 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds. I am not fussy about how far under the magic three hour marker I am.

So training is currently under way and on the final stretch. I also haven't touched a drop of alcohol since the Justin Bieber gig at Hyde Park on 2nd July. You read that correctly. 7 weeks and counting. And yes, I did say Justin Bieber.

So as part of the training I entered a half to see how I was tracking.

I got to the common nice and early. There was already a womble there for the warm up which made me happy.

What I hadn't realised was how hilly and muddy the course would be. It was two laps of the common which was fun but rather tough mudder like (without the electricity.) During my first loop I realised that I was behind what should be my race pace for Berlin but given the hills, descents and mud I wasn't bothered. I just wanted to enjoy it.

We passed some of the cyclists doing the Ride London 100 mile along the way and I was on the home stretch. I passed my friend Laura who was trying to reach the end before I did. I beat her (which isn't the first time if you look back to my L.A race!)

So it was tough and I crossed the line in a time of 1 hour 30 minutes 27 seconds. So not too bad but I was pretty sweaty. And muddy. I placed 23rd out of 2,000 starters. Top 1% this time. Still, I guess if I could do the same pace on the flat then a three hour marathon may be on. At least a PB maybe.

This week I read a book called Don't Stop Me Now by Vassos Alexander. It was a good read and I recommend it. He said one thing in it that is going to stick with me as I prepare for Berlin in these final weeks.

He was also on a quest to break the three hour marathon and whilst trying to he realised that the difference between a 3h 2m marathon is not that much to a 2h 59m marathoner. I thought about it and realised how true this is. It is literally a few seconds extra per mile. As well as pointing this out he also made me realise that if you aren't going to break your 3 hour target you will probably already know this at the half way point. A further half marathon being upset or frustrated is a long time and not enjoyable.

So thank you Vassos. You have made me realise that whilst it is important to have my running goals I do need to make sure I enjoy it to. So I will, thank you for reminding me of that.



1 comment:

  1. Good one.
    You are welcome if you visit,
    https://favoritefacts.blogspot.com/?m=1
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete