Monday 30 May 2016

The Oxford Town & Gown 10km

On the 15th May I had my first race back since the London Marathon on the 24th April.

Post marathon I had suffered from a nasty cough for about a week which despite my best drinking efforts over the bank holiday weekend would not entirely subside. I thought alcohol was meant to kill germs?

However; by last weekend I was feeling fit and ready to take on my next race. I’ll be honest – I was grateful it was to be a much shorter one too.

Oxford is a lovely town and the day before the race I had enjoyed the sunshine whilst wandering around the stunning colleges and eating a cream tea. After all, I’d run it off the next day right?

As I settled into my hotel room post dinner (and to watch Eurovision in bed) I realised that I hadn’t bought anything to eat for breakfast. Oops. I figured there must be somewhere along the short walk into town to get to the start where I would be able to get sustenance so I didn’t worry and went to sleep.

In the morning I found out two things. Firstly; Ukraine had been victorious at Eurovision (beating Australia who were in the lead when I went to the land of nod.) Secondly; on my way into town the only place I spotted to buy breakfast was Londis. The breakfast of champions (two bananas and a nutri grain breakfast bar) was what I had to enjoy whilst still walking to the start. This was athleticism at its best.

Having stocked up on the above mentioned food I then passed Pret serving piping hot porridge. #Devastated.

Lining up for the start I was excited and relishing being able to take off my tracksuit and wait for the start gun without shivering my tits off.

We were off. The course took us through the historic centre of town and through the parks as well. I noticed I was pacing at around 5m 40s per mile for the first mile or so which was pretty fast and a pace I knew I wouldn’t maintain. At around 4km a guy mentioned to me that he had set off too fast and I agreed with him (about myself, not him!)

We looped around where we had started and soon we went past the 6km mark. I love that point in a 10km as it means you are well and truly on the home stretch. The end finished back in the park and I crossed the line in 38m 10s placing me 64th out of around 4,000 starters. It was by no means a PB but it was an enjoyable race and still not a shabby time.

I enjoyed another cream tea post-race. I had run the one off from yesterday and surely banked a little extra to have another today? 

Shocked that Australia are in the lead in Eurovison. How is that possible?!


Stunning Oxford:


Breakfast of champions on the go:


I'm done:


No comments:

Post a Comment