Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Great Blustery Run

On Sunday was the Great South Run (hereafter GSR.)

This was my third time in as many years at the run and I was looking forward to my day out at the coast...aiming for a sub 1 hour run.

We had been warned for about a week by the weather men that there was due to be a heavy storm on the Sunday evening so I had expected high winds but nothing prepared me for what the coast had in store.

It is well known amongst runners that the last two miles of the GSR is tough as it is a two mile stretch along the seafront which often has a headwind.

Lining up at the start though it felt like a scene out of Winnie the Pooh and the blustery day. Race organisers were already telling us to save energy for the last slog alongside the sea and that no records would be broken (except maybe the wind strength!)

So off we set around the very familiar route of the Gunwharf, HMS Victory and through the city towards the coast again. The headwind even in the city was so strong that it actually made me have my first ever thoughts in a race that I wouldn't be able to make it to the end. I made it past 6 miles and thought that at least I was half way.

As I passed the 8 mile mark the headwind literally hit me and I couldn't believe it. It was horrendous. My running speed deteriorated rapidly as did the cleanliness of my language. It was the most awful running moment I can say I have ever experienced and that finish line took an absolute age to come!

When it did I had a face like thunder and was not so impressed with my time of 1 hour 4 mins 55 secs. Definitely way off my expected pace although I did take some comfort that the elites were also around 3 minutes off their usual pace too so perhaps it was not too bad to place 169th out of 25,000 after all.

I can't say I enjoyed the run (hence why I didn't even take a picture at the end to share with you) but I did have a nice day overall and have signed up for the 25th GSR next year already.....


No comments:

Post a Comment